A wedding is a costly event that can often come with many hidden costs if you are not planning carefully. The average wedding costs about $33,000 and the costs keep on increasing every year. One of the first steps you need to do in wedding planning is to set up a budget. However, even with a budget many couples find that they end up spending more than they anticipated. Dealing with the extra costs of a wedding can be stressful but here are some ways to help you deal with the hidden costs of weddings:
- Use a Budget Calculator – There are many wedding budget worksheets and apps that can help you budget and plan your spending carefully. The most important tool for you to use when estimating the costs of a wedding is a wedding calculator. There are many kinds of wedding calculators online that you can choose from. Many of them have different features, so finding the right one for your needs is important. The best option is to find one that not only predicts what you will spend but also adjusts your budget for you as you spend. These calculators can help you figure out how much you can spend going forward and throughout your wedding planning process.
- Estimate Over Not Under – The key to wedding budgeting is to always estimate more than you might actually spend. This helps to make sure you budget for some flexibility. For example, do not assume you might be able to save more on a certain florists because of a reference. Their floral arrangements might have been cheaper because of many different factors. If you are researching the average costs of things always estimate that it will cost a little more than the estimates online. There are always hidden costs such as service fees and overtime charges to consider. This can help you manage your budget more accurately and does not set up expectations or surprises.
- Opt For Custom – Many couples assume that opting for custom items will end up
costing them more. However, that might not always be the case. According to a report by IBIS World, the wedding industry has a revenue of about $76 billion. This indicates a growing and highly competitive industry. This competitive industry means affordable options for buyers. More and more wedding vendors are offering customization services at a more affordable price. Searching online for customization services is another budget-friendly option. Finding customizable wedding and engagement rings online for example might be more affordable than looking for customization services at a store.
- Digital Invites and RSVPs – One of the top hidden costs of a wedding is the money spent on postage stamps. Couples may not realize that the wedding planning process brings many visits to the post office. Save-the-dates, wedding invites, RSVPs, and then finally thank you cards end up costing more than you expect. There is the initial cost of getting these printed or even buying ready made ones at a store can be pricey. The costs of postage ends up adding another expense. Instead of going through all these extra costs you should opt for digital cards instead. This can help eliminate the costs for all that paper and also is a much more eco-friendly option.
- Budget For Day-Of Extras – Weddings are definitely a costly event that always ends up costing more than you think. Even with a reliable budget, couples usually find that hidden costs somewhere throw their spending off. One way to combat any surprising costs is to also budget for unexpected day-of extra expenses. You may not be able to predict what kinds of costs might come up on your wedding day, but having an emergency fund for that day can help.
The hidden costs of weddings does not have to be a big burden for your special day. With some careful budgeting and anticipating, you can make sure you stay on budget throughout the entire process. Ultimately, you want to be able to enjoy your wedding with your guests and not have to worry about spending more money than you already have.